Meal Planning tip #3: Marinate, Marinate, Marinate (the night before!)
My husband’s biggest pet peeve is when people do not show meat the required TLC. We are generally not big meat eaters, it’s really only on our meal plan 1-2 times a week. But when we do, my husband insists on giving it the attention it deserves (for at least 24 hours). He always adds his magic touch, a little spice here, a little salt there. Voila! A delicious master piece.
What’s funny is that even on the nights we keep it simple, where I just feel like eating a simple chicken breast with a little olive oil, salt and garlic. It tastes incredible, why? We marinated it the night before, and let it set in the fridge until we were ready to prepare dinner.
What’s on the menu tonight you ask?
Ingredients: (15 mins prep, 20 mins cooking)
- 1 package of ground turkey, beef or chicken (really your preference)
- 1/2 of red onion
- Seasonings: salt (to taste), 1 tbsp of basil (finely chopped), 1 tbsp of parsley, 1/2 tsp of chili flakes, 1/2 tsp of paprika, 2 cloves (minced) of garlic, 1 tsp of fresh minced ginger.
1. Combine all seasonings with your ground meat of choice. We prefer to use ground turkey meat. Be sure to mix ingredients together well to ensure an even and optimal flavour. At this stage you may wish to make your burger patties, my husband prefers to wait until just before he cooks.
(24 hours later)
2. We often cook ours in the frying pan. So put heat on medium. Make your burger patties while the pan is heating. Once prepared, fry your burgers on each side for 8-10 mins (depending on your meat choice, you may wish to adjust the timing).
3. Wash fresh romaine leaves (the larger the better!).
4. When reading to serve, place burger on lettuce wrap and add your favourite toppings (suggestions below).
Suggested Toppings: Romaine lettuce leaves (we no longer use hamburger buns)tomato slices (or fresh salsa), fresh sliced onion, fresh coriander, and sometimes avocado slices (homemade guacamole is also phenomenal, fool-proof recipe coming!)