Here’s a little something that will have your kids asking for more! The day that I made my new and improved chili recipe, I was told this chilli should be a regular part of our weekly meal cycle. “Perfect for kids!” was the exact wording from my caregiver. My daughter gobbled it down, and you know what it wasn’t your traditional chili recipe, I added a bit of my own twist and flare.
1 package of ground beef or turkey
1 whole onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 cups of stewed tomatoes (we tried the stewed tomatoes that came in our garden basket from Bryson Farms!)
1/2 red pepper, yellow pepper and green (I typically freeze fresh chopped peppers at the end of summer, just pull out the bags. Garden fresh in winter amazing!)
1/2 sweet potato chopped
1 bottle of organic tomato marinara (or an additional 12 tomatoes stewed and puréed into a marinara sauce)
For seasoning: fresh basil, parsley, coorinader (1/2 tsp of coordinaer seeds adds a nice flavour), 1/2 tsp of salt, pinch of chilli flakes,
*sometimes we will add corn or celery. Optional, garnishes, sour cream and avocado (don’t forget the hot sauce!)
1. Put a little oil in a large pot, once hot fry onions until golden brown and add the garlic, once the garlic starts to soften add your ground meat into the pot.
2. Cook meat until it is no longer red (15-20 mins depending on type of meat).
3. Add your vegetables, into the pot. I like to sauté them with the onions and meat for about 5 mins.
4. Add your stewed tomatoes and sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
5. At this point, I like to add my fresh spices. Continue to stew all ingredients for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add your fresh marinara sauce, and turn burner to simmer and cover.
7. Simmer for 30-40 mins, longer if you have time to bring out the natural flavours.
8. Now it’s ready to serve, garnish with fresh sour cream or avocados and chives. Adds a real freshness to the chilli!